Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Waiting and hoping

Waiting,hoping,waiting. Living in the paperless shadows must be like spending time in hell's waiting room. The endless waiting is bad, but what lies on the other side of the door is so many times worse. You try to distract yourself. You may even succeed for a little while. But in the back of your head that clock is ticking away.
There have been some good news. But after some very important victories at the beginning of the summer,and in direct contradiction to President Obama's previous promises, now comes the news that Immigration reform may be delayed. WHAT?! So I spend ages try to scrounge up every last bit of information available on DREAM and CIR and glean some positive feeling from it despite the bulk of what s available being negative nativist and just plain ignorant. Which wonk is right? Who is most correctly predicting what will come? Am I doing enough? Am I being loud enough? Have I contacted enough relevant people? Who else can I involve that will kickstart the reform movement to the forefront? Working on those answers.
And meanwhile daily life drags on. With all its petty concerns draining what little energy and patience I may have left.I am not complaining, don't get me wrong. I'm very aware of the privileges available to people like me. What grates is the fact that the extreme effort and hard work of others, who have earned those privileges ten times over, goes unrewarded, and is ignored and belittled.
But right now,while waiting on bureaucrats to make a decision that will change the course of one life, the waiting consumes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment